The top lot in this first auction was The Legend of Zelda (NES, Nintendo, 1987), which Wata graded as a 9.4 B+ (Seal Rating). This copy includes the gray, three-screw version of the cartridge. Sealed versions of this game are extremely difficult to locate, especially in this condition, according to Heritage. It sold for $3,360.
A second game also sold for over $1000: Excitebike (NES, Nintendo, 1985), which Wata graded as an 8.5 A (Seal Rating). While Excitebike was a launch title for the Nintendo Entertainment System, this copy was a Revision-A game with a round Seal of Quality, indicating that it’s a later revision of the title. The copy sold for $1,140.
Other items in this auction included:
- Dragon Warrior (NES, Nintendo, 1989) Wata Games 8.5 A (Seal Rating): $660
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES, Nintendo, 1989), Wata Games 8.5 CIB (Complete in Box): $312
- Super Mario Bros. (NES, Nintendo 1985), Wata Games 8.0 CIB (Complete in Box): $312
- Wario's Woods (NES, Nintendo, 1994), Wata Games 9.4 A+ (Seal Rating): $228
- Mega Man 5 (NES, Capcom, 1992), Wata Games 6.0 CIB (Complete in Box): $216
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, Nintendo, 1990), Wata Games 6.5 CIB (Complete in Box): $210
- Double Dragon (SMS, Sega, 1988), Wata Games 9.6 CIB (Complete in Box): $204
Heritage plans to continue including video games in upcoming auctions, so it seems likely that this new category is here to stay.