This publishing campaign will feature new stories that explore the Star Wars galaxy as it was 200 years prior to the events of The Phantom Menace. The setting is the golden age of the Galactic Republic when the Jedi Order is at its pinnacle. Publishing creative director Michael Siglain went into more detail on the new project:
“Star Wars: The High Republic features the Jedi as we’ve always wanted to see them — as true guardians of peace and justice. This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi and the Galactic Republic are at their height. But of course, into this glorious new era something wicked this way comes,” said Siglain. “This initiative will give readers young and old a new corner of the galaxy to explore through rich, meaningful stories. Plus, readers will learn what scares the Jedi.”
They've announced the first five titles set to come out with the first wave in August:
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures by Daniel José Older (IDW comic series)
- Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule (adult novel)
- Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray (YA novel)
- Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland (middle grade novel)
- Star Wars: The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel Comics series)
None of the new books will overlap with the feature films or series in production, and creators will have room to make new Star Wars stories come to life.
In other Star Wars comics news, IDW Publishing release Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars - Battle Tales in April (see "IDW Swaps War Stories In 'The Clone Wars - Battle Tales' ").
Click on Gallery below to see covers for first Star Wars: The High Republic titles!