The Spiel des Jahres ("Game of the Year") nominees are:
- My City, by Reiner Knizia (Publisher: Kosmos)
- Nova Luna, by Uwe Rosenberg and Corne van Moorsel (Publisher: Edition Spielwiese and Pegasus Spiele)
- Pictures, by Daniela and Christian Stohr (Publisher: PD Verlag)
The winner will be announced on July 20, 2020.
The Kennerspiel des Jahres ("Enthusiast’s Game of the Year"), which recognizes "heavier" games for experienced gamers, will also be announced on July 20. The nominees are:
- The Cartographer, by Jordy Adan (Publisher: Pegasus Spiele)
- The Crew, by Thomas Sing (Publisher: Kosmos)
- The King’s Dilemma, by Lorenzo Silva, Hjalmar Hach, and Carlo Burelli (Publisher: Horrible Guild and HeidelBAR Games)
Three games were nominated for the Kinderspiel des Jahres ("Children’s Game of the Year"):
- Photo Fish, by Michael Kallauch (Publisher: Logis)
- Speedy Roll, by Urtis Sulinskas (Publisher: Piatnik and Lifestyle Boardgames)
- We Are the Robots, by Reinhard Staupe (Publisher: NSV)
The winner of the Children’s Game of the Year will be announced on June 15.