Wizard World will produce 14 shows in 2017, down eight from the 22 it said it was planning for the year as of last month (see "Wizard World Sales Drop Nearly 50%"). The reduction includes five markets where the company had planned new shows in 2017; launches in those markets are now planned for Fall 2018.
Wizard World has hosted 12 shows to date and plans just two for Q4: Oklahoma City and Austin.
The cuts will give Wizard a chance to retool; it’s been bleeding cash on declining sales per show this year, with a $2.2 million loss in Q2.
The 2018 schedule includes six new markets (including the five where launch had been planned for 2017). New shows, marked with a “*,” are all in the back half of the year.
- January 5-7, New Orleans, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
- February 2-4, St. Louis, America’s Center
- March 2-4, Cleveland, Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland
- April 13-15, Portland, Ore., Oregon Convention Center
- May 17-20, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Convention Center
- June 1-3, Des Moines, Iowa, Iowa Events Center
- June 8-10, Columbus, Ohio, Greater Columbus Convention Center
- *July 13-15, Boise, Idaho, Boise Centre
- August 23-26, Chicago, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center
- September 21-23, Madison, Wis., Alliant Energy Center
- October 26-28, Oklahoma City, Cox Convention Center
- Fall TBD, Austin, Texas, Austin Convention Center
- *October/November TBD, Biloxi, Miss., Mississippi Coliseum & Convention Center
- *October/November TBD, Montgomery, Ala., Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
- *October/November TBD, Peoria, Ill., Peoria Civic Center
- *October/November TBD, Springfield, Mo., University Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
- *October/November TBD, Winston-Salem, N.C., Benton Convention Center