An ICv2 Release. ICv2 is launching two weeks of special content on kids graphic novels and comics on ICv2.com, sponsored by Dark Horse Comics, VIZ Media, IDW Publishing, Papercutz, BOOM! Studios, and Abrams. The content will include market info, interviews, news, reviews, and special features.
The special event on ICv2.com, “Grow the Business with Kids Comics and Graphic Novels,” is tied to two big events in the category: Free Comic Book Day and Children’s Book Week. The two events are connected this year, with Children’s Book Week following Free Comic Book Day (see “FCBD 2015 Gold Comics Announced”), and supported by Diamond Comic Distributors, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, Children’s Book Council, and Every Child a Reader (see “Free Comic Book Day Ties to Children’s Book Week”).
“Graphic novels and comics for kids are blowing up this year,” ICv2 President Milton Griepp said. “This has been an accelerating trend and 2015 is shaping up to be a watershed. We’ve been amazed at the support this event has received from our sponsors, and we want to thank them for the opportunity to explore this category that’s so critical to the future of the business.”
First up is an overview of current trends in the category (see “Kids Graphic Novels Big and Growing”). Then through this week and next we’ll be talking to publishers, creators, and retailers about what’s happening in kids titles and what to expect for the future.
In addition to the overview article referenced above, here's the rest of our coverage of kids comics and graphic novels during this event.
Interviews and News
- Interview with Dark Horse CEO Mike Richardson (see “Dark Horse CEO Mike Richardson on Kids Titles”).
- Interview with VIZ’s Senior Editorial Director, Perfect Square (see “ICv2 Interview: Viz's Beth Kawasaki”)
- KaBOOM! ‘s Adventure Time Card Wars Comic (see “ Kovalic, Brown Covers for 'Adventure Time Card Wars' Launch”)
- KaBOOM!’s ‘Steven Universe’ Comic Collection (see “'Steven Universe' Vol. 1 TP”)
- Interview with Dark Horse writer Gene Luen Yang (see “ICv2 Interview: Gene Luen Yang on 'Avatar'”)
- Writer Paul Tobin on Plants vs Zombies and Bandette (see “ICv2 Interview: Paul Tobin on 'Plants vs. Zombies'”)
- Selling Comics and Graphic Novels to Kids (see “ICv2 Interview: Flying Colors' Joe Field”)
- Interview with Papercutz’ Publisher Terry Nantier and Editor in Chief Jim Salicrup in two parts (see “ ICv2 Interview: Papercutz' Terry Nantier and Jim Salicrup, Part 1” and “ICv2 Interview: Papercutz' Terry Nantier and Jim Salicrup, Part 2”)
- Interview with BOOM! Editor in Chief about KaBOOM! kids imprint releases (see “ICv2 Interview: BOOM! EIC Matt Gagnon”)
- Interview with Comic Store Owner Joe Murray on how his store successfully markets to children and families (see “ICv2 Interview: Captain Blue Hen Comics' Joe Murray, Part 1” and “ICv2 Interview: Captain Blue Hen Comics' Joe Murray, Part 2")
- New online resource that brings librarians and educators together with comics creators and professionals (see “CBLDF's Comics Connector”)
- Humble Bundle creates the digital platform’s first Humble Kids Comics Bundle (see “Humble Bundle Children's Book Week Bundle”)
- Oni Press’s YA Zombie Survival Graphic Novel (see “'Junior Braves of the Apocalypse'”)
- Abram’s Amulet Imprint Fall Releases (see “Abrams' Fall Lineup of Graphic Novels for Kids”)
Kids Comics/Graphic Novel Previews
- Exclusive Preview: New’ All-Ages Magical Girl Series (see “Exclusive Preview: 'Zodiac Starforce' by Kevin Panetta & Paulina Ganucheau”)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past TP (see “Preview: 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past' TP”)
Kids Graphic Novel Reviews
- “Review: 'Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure' HC”
- “Review: 'Benjamin Bear in Brain Storms' HC”
- “'Review: Orpheus in the Underworld' HC”
If you have news on kids graphic novels or comics we should be covering, please send us a tip at Tips@icv2.com. If you've got a comment on what's happening in kids graphic novels or comics, please send it to Comments@icv2.com.