Winners and nominees for several special awards to be presented at San Diego Comic-Con have been announced.
The pair was unanimously selected by a blue-ribbon committee chaired by Mark Evanier. "Once again, we have two winners who are way past-due for some rightful recognition," Evanier said. "Both were among the first human beings who went from reading comics to writing letters-to-the-editor that were published in comics and then on to writing the comics themselves. And both wrote some very fine comics that were appreciated at the time and appreciated in reprints—but, we think, not enough."
Lisa Wood created Thought Bubble, which runs a yearly comics festival, supports a young people’s comic book awards at select schools, special autism services, Rainbow Age LGBTQ reading group events, a two-day academic conference, an annual anthology to support a disadvantaged children’s charity, and distributes free graphic novels to libraries.
- Lorena Alvarez, writer/artist of Hicotea and Nightlights (Nobrow)
- Ellen T. Crenshaw, artist of Kiss Number 8 (First Second)
- M. J. Kim, artist of Faith: Dreamside (Valiant)
- Sumit Kumar, artist of These Savage Shores (Vault Comics) and Ruin of Thieves (Action Lab)
- Kieran McKeown, artist of Halo: Lone Wolf (Dark Horse)
The full roster of 2019 Eisner Award Nominees was announced last month (see "The 2019 Eisner Award Nominees"), and the initial new members picked for the Eisner Hall of Fame were also announced (see "Four Picked for Eisner Hall of Fame").